Thursday, May 7, 2009

1st post

So I really dont know what your suppose to write on your first post but....

Some background info.. In high school I played baseball (ss, 2nd, outfield), football (receiver), and pole vaulted. I pole vaulted for a short period in college also. Being so active in high school I really needed something to keep me going through college so I started running with the push from my sister. I ran my first half marathon with about 2 weeks of training and was pretty much hooked since then. Over the next 2 years I ran 4 marathons with minimal training which is probably why I always suffer from Iliotibial band syndrome. I completed my first triathlon in 2006 with my sister and wife (at the time, girlfriend). Now, I am hooked on triathlons. The longest distance I have completed is an Olympic distance triathlon. I went through months of training for my first 70.3 (07 Longhorn Triathlon) and had a major setback about 1.5 months away.

I dont want to get into details right now but on August 18, 2007 while on a long training ride for the Longhorn tri a Suburban turned in front of me while I was descending a hill. After that I wore a neck brace for about 3 months and couldnt move my arm for a few weeks.... THAT WAS my 70.3...

This year I am just racing sprints and volunteering at Ironman CDA to register for 2010. I refuse to race a 70.3 before I finish 140.6. Call me stupid, tell me I cant do it, thats just fuel for the fire. Thanks!

I have a series of sprint tris coming up but I have only registered for 2. Next Saturday, my wife is running her first 25k in Huntsville, TX at Hogs Hunt and I am racing the Silverlake tri in Pearland, TX on Sunday. The next weekend is Combat tri in TX City..

I have completed 3 triathlons this year. Last weekend was CB&I where I had a great race. It was 500m swim (1:51 pace), 15 mile bike (21.6MPH) and a 5k (6:55 pace) for a total time of 1:14:52. I placed 7th in my age group out of 50 and 70th overall out of 901. I was happy with it but I want hardware damnit! Last year at Silverlake I placed 4th in my age group,,, I hope to better that next weekend!

11 comments:

Samantha said...

YAY - I am your first comment! haha Good luck to both you and Cat this season!! (And GL getting into IMCDA too) I can't believe you're doing a fully before a 70.3 but that is super kick ass!

triblog carol said...

Great first post - I like it! So sorry to hear about your setback. If I can make the podium, there is no doubt in my mind that you can. Seriously, I have no athletic background or natural talent whatsover. And you ran a marathon on 2 weeks training - you rock!

anne said...

PowerWorm - my personal hero. The most inspirational personal comeback I've ever seen. From near death to multiple triathlete, marathoner, ironman-to-be. Thanks to the fabulous support of PowerCat you're an UNSTOPPABLE FORCE OF NATURE. Congrats on the blog!!

Gina Harris said...

Great post! It looks like you are making a wonderful comeback from your injuries. Keep on runnin'

Gina

Atrusni said...

Impressive resume!!, also impressive is your comeback from your injury!! Keep posting, you will see how it helps keep the motivation up to continue running or training!! I will keep visiting for your next post

See you in twitterland!!

Web.me.com/amaurydeleon

The Tri Runner said...

Welcome to the Blog World, Bro!

Gusano said...

Thanks to my first blog readers! booyaaa

Javier said...

Welcome to the Blog life.

As for racing I am doing the opposite, I refuse to do anything BUT sprints after my IM race lol

anne said...

Barefoot? I'm gonna need pics of that. Betcha if you send your blog comment to Trisports they get your new shoes there on time...

anne said...

YEA! Thanks for the barefoot pic and explanation. Sweet!

Rick Smythe said...

you rock