Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Getting back to training

I finally started training again the Tuesday after getting back from Puerto Vallarta. I haven't missed a day since. I don't really have a plan and for now I'm focusing on running... I see the most improvement in my running and I like to see results. I have been stuck at the same pace swimming and have improved a little bit biking but my running has really improved.
I swam one day last week and biked once on Saturday. My wife and I rode for about 23 miles on the 4th. Sunday we went to the beach were I was able to get some surfing in... I consider this a swim workout since you are fighting the current the entire time and everytime you catch a wave you must paddle back out past the break. Surfing is very tiring and works out a lot of muscles you normally don't work out with just swimming..
My running suffered since I haven't ran in a little over a week with vacation and all. I have been running 3 to 4 miles and trying to keep the pace under 8mins. Normally for a 3 mile run I can hold closer to a 7 min pace..
I have a sprint triathlon this weekend and I hope I am ready for it. I think I will be happy if I can hold a sub 7:30 pace on the run but who knows... Its a 300m pool swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mile run... I'm aiming for 4th place..
After that I have one more sprint this season.. Rivercities sprint triathlon... Its suppose to be an awesome race with a great packet..
Then starts Ironman training in September... I will follow some type of plan until January.. then I am hiring Brett (aka texafornia) to coach me from January thru June 27th. I don't plan on screwing around and really want to do well at my first Ironman...
If you have any suggestions on a good free training plan from September to January let me know..


And I almost forgot... I met Sister Madonna at the Ironman!! Very cool!

2 comments:

RunnerDude said...

Hey man! It's not free, but I reviewed a really cool training book for AmatuerEndurance.com. The book's titled Run Workouts for Runners and Triathletes by Bobby McGee and Mark Plaatjes that has training plans for the 5K all the way to Ironman. Here's the link to the review http://www.amateurendurance.com/4/editorials/runworkouts-for-runners-and-triathletes/

Gusano said...

hey thanks! Ill check it out..