Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Living/Dealing With ITBS

I have dealt with ITBS (Iliotibial band syndrome) since I ran my first half marathon in 2005. I did it to myself. I know it’s my fault I have ITBS. It probably could have been prevented if I wasn’t so hard headed. ITBS is very painful and only gets worse when you try to run through the pain. It can bring you to tears. What’s worse is when you really want to run and every step is painful, like a knife is stuck in your knee. Nothing is broke, it doesn’t bleed, and you can’t see what’s hurting or why it’s hurting. It doesn’t look like it should hurt so why does it hurt when I want to run!

I am definitely no expert but I have read a lot about the Iliotibial band and have seen Drs and been to PT since 2005. The Iliotibal band runs along the outside of your leg basically from the hip to just past the knee. The pain is usually located at the outside of the knee but can sometimes develop at the hip. My pain is at the knee(s). From my understanding the pain comes when the ITB rubs across the (inflamed) bursa at the knee. This is why it doesn’t hurt when you first start running but slowly becomes inflamed and the pain becomes worse the more the ITB rubs back and forth over the bursa. For me, when my ITB is aggravated, I can make it hurt by bending my knee slightly and leaning forward as if I am in a slow motion run or pushing off with the back leg. Going down stairs or down a hill is painful as well. I have learned to try and not bend my knee past a certain point when it is inflamed.

So back to how I was blessed with ITBS.. My sister had run her first marathon and I was told I couldn’t ever run that far. Wrong thing to say to me. I have always been active and ran occasionally but never consistently so I decided to run the Houston half marathon to prove people wrong. I ran “consistently” for about a week prior to the half and finished right at 2 hours. After that I had this ache in the outside of my knee but I had just run 13.1 miles so I figured it was supposed to hurt. I ran a few 5ks and one 10k that summer and signed up for the San Antonio Marathon in Nov. Again I didn’t really train and ran it with my sister finishing in 5:21. My knee was starting to feel a lot worse but I ignored it and ran the next Houston Marathon (Jan 06) with my sister again. Finished in 4:54.. After this I wanted to actually start running and training for other races but my knee was killing me. I finally went to the Dr and he told me I had developed ITBS. Obviously from running too many miles without training. I had a cortisone shot and was sent on my way. I was also prescribed a z-pack later that year. That summer I ran a few short races and signed up for SA and Houston Marathon. I bought an ITB strap to help with the pain while running. I trained a little bit more that year and finished SA in 4:13:09 with my ITB killing me. Ran Houston that next January and had to walk most of the last 6 miles finishing in 4:49… This is when it hit me that ITBS SUCKS and you really can’t run through the pain and just deal with it like my Dr. said (yeah, he actually told me to just push through it,, he also thought I was an idiot for running that far). That was my last marathon (Jan 07). I ended up with ITBS in BOTH knees.

That year I went back to my ortho and he sent me to PT. I couldn’t touch my toes the first day of PT and by the time I left I was able to fully grab them. PT consisted of stretching, weights, ice, massage and ultrasound. I started using biofreeze (like icy hot) on my runs and always stretched and iced after each run. Stretching included rolling on a foam roller. (now I have a foam roller, TP Quadballer/roller, The Stick, and I use my Indo Board roller because it is made of hard plastic and doesn’t give at all. I got used to the foam). The PT thought the problem was from an imbalance in my hips/glutes and that I needed to strengthen my legs and core along with tons of stretching. This is one reason I like the weight room. I truly feel that strengthening my legs helps with my ITB. But I also make sure I stretch a lot. I have read that the ITB itself cannot be stretched but for some reason it feels a lot better getting a good stretch on the outside of my leg. My favorite stretch is sitting down with one leg straight out in front, the other crossed over with my foot on the ground beside my knee. Then I try to touch my toes and get a good stretch on the outside of my leg. (hopefully this makes sense). During therapy I had stopped running and took a few weeks off. I would swim and ride during this time to maintain my fitness. Sometimes riding aggravates it too but not near as bad as running. I slowly started back to running and always made myself stop when just a little bit of pain started. I made sure I didn’t run on any cambered roads and if I ran at the track I would change direction every 2 laps. The ITB strap would help me finish some longer runs. I would carry it with me and if I started to feel pain I would strap it on. It seemed to help but definitely didn’t cure the problem. I was starting to get control of it and then I had my bicycle wreck and had a mandatory 3 months of no running. I guess a good thing about breaking my neck and shoulder is my ITB got some needed rest.

I still deal with ITBS. It will go away for months at a time then I will do something that aggravates it. My last big flare up was after my wedding (Oct 08).. I got too jiggy wit it on the dance floor (seriously). Then there was this last January when we were moving into our townhome with stairs. So it’s usually stupid things that aggravate it. I stretch, roll, sometimes use “the stick” and ice after EVERY run. I stretch every chance I get. I incorporate weights in my training with lots of leg press and squats. When it starts to flare up during a run I shorten my stride and try not to bend my knee as much. This works pretty good to finish out a run. I recently tried Kinesio tape / KT tape. I didn’t have great results but I plan on experimenting with it to see if any different technique or just adjusting the tape a bit works. The tape is way more comfortable than the strap so if I can get any relief with it I will use it. I am lucky enough to have an Athletic Trainer as my wife so I’m able to use her whirlpool for ice baths and sometimes use her ultrasound machine. It is possible to live with ITBS. You just have to know your limits and know when to stop or cut back your running.

18 comments:

Shannon said...

I see lots of people talk about ITBS, but I've never really known or understood much about it. I think I've got a better idea now. One thing is for sure...I DON'T want it! LOL!

Can't believe that you caused a flare up from dancing at your wedding. That must have been quite a reception! Awesome!

Hope you feel better soon!

Gusano said...

No you do not want it.. Stay far far away from ITBS.
And I wasnt dancing! I was gettin jiggy wit it!.. haha.. It was an awesome reception. Think I was trying to break dance when it started hurting. "trying"

Gina Harris said...

Great post! Glad to see you're doing better with the ITBS. I've had a few problems, but I have always stretched a lot so they go away quickly. Now, if I could just quit getting stress fractures or crashing my bike. lol

Isela said...

Glad that you have found a way to lessen the pain. I appreciate you writing about it and the different ways that one can deal with it.

Gusano said...

Thanks!.. Gina, no more crashing! Thats behind you now. 2 types of cyclist, those who have wrecked, those who are gonna wreck. We both have our wrecks behind us.

Gusano said...

Thanks Isela.. One thing Ive never tried that Cassie mentioned is ART. (Active Release Technique). Suppose to do great things. I may try this out when I start building up mileage.

Jamie said...

You make it sound like a life-long chronic injury. I had ITBS really bad in '07 and '08, but (fingers crossed) I've been lucky enough to be injury free this year.

Strength exercises helped, but massaging and stretching knots my gluts was my biggest cure. I would just sit on a lacrosse ball under one cheek and roll around until I couldn't feel any more balls of tension.

Hopefully you kick this bad habit man. ITBS is no fun. I'm much happier without it.

amienickel said...

Like Jamie up there said, massage is great for this stuff. I recommend finding a sports massage therapist to work on the knots and muscle attachments in your glutes and hamstrings. :)
Man, I'll bet Romo totally couldn't handle ITBS... ;)

Ben Greenfield said...

Man, I struggled with ITBS for 6 months, but I beat it. Threw everything and the kitchen sink at it, kinda like you describe. I ended up shooting a bunch of video and actually creating a rehab program that shows exactly what I did. It is at http://www.bulletproofknee.com

Best of luck,
Ben

Mackarroni said...

Great post. I've been dealing with this for a couple of months now and I have my first run next weekend. I am doing the Mens Health Urbanathlon in Chicago. I just bought an ITB Strap, and I hope it helps me finish.
It's funny that your doctor told you to push through it, mine did the same.

Brybrarobry said...

I know how bad it is, I did the same thing, ran a marathon and pushed myself to finish with very little training. Had it for over a year, tried EVERYTHING.

What got rid of it was two things. Acupunture and I do a stretch I've recommended to others with success. Standing, keep knees straight, cross one over the other and try to touch the ground. Very painful but effective.

I feel for you. I know how much it sucks.

Keep at it, you can beat it.

duckeeduck said...

Great post - thank you for sharing so much! I've been dealing with ITBS on and off for a while - can you elaborate more on how you used the KT tape? I have it and have used it for Achilles tendinitis with good results, but don't know how to use it for ITBS.

Gusano said...

Thanks for all your comments. If anyone wants I can send you an email from KT tape showing how to tape for ITBS. ITBS SUCKS!

Anonymous said...

I really like your article and I can relate. As I type this I'm in pain and I don’t know what to do. I'm signed up for the LA Marathon 3/21/10 but I don't know if I'll be able to complete it. This is my second marathon. Yesterday I wanted to run an hour and only did 40 minutes since it started hurting after 30 minutes. My training group is running 17 miles this weekend and I hope to do it but I don't think I'll be able to. It really sucks. I've been icing for 10 minutes, heat for 10, & icing for 10. Then stretching. I was running in the pool for awhile but I miss running. The pool doesn't feel like a workout. I guess my next step is to get a sport massage or acupuncture. I do have the foam roller but probably don't use it as much as I should. I'm going to try to use in everyday starting today.

Melissa

Stephanie DeSpain said...

I just started having this pain about 2 months ago and it kept me from my first marathon. I have been increasing mileage on my bike because of my watered down runs in hopes that it will GO AWAY! Thanks for all the great advice. I have been stretching and lifting and just recently got a roller. Think I will try the KT tape too!

Stephanie

Zay Sky Isaiahvgardiner said...

I'm pushing almost 2yrs of the daunting condition. Had MRI, XRAY, and even had a *Z-lengthening(procedure lengthening the IT band providing mute slack) still 300% same page. I'm a career basketball player and was primed to start my first SSN of basketball and devoted 2 yrs prior to fitness, was up to 6mins per/day(in addition to 3hrs skills training & 2hrs lifting), every day then, like a snap of a finger-- one day like any other after playing I felt a pinch. That pinch became more consistent till where it is now stabbing in that"window" of degrees u mentioned. No bleeding, bruise anything.

Zay Sky Isaiahvgardiner said...

I'm 22 and the ITBS has solely robbed me of my life.I'm 6'3, was 183lbs and tip-top shape(10-pack &all) now I'm 225 and rising due to inability to run and/or train. Anxiety& irritability plague me cause sports/running was my high, and now, being a sober guy never having smoked or drank, I have no outlet. Needless to say I'm just pretty bleak admit the whole thing

Zay Sky Isaiahvgardiner said...

Sorry for typos haha