Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ironman Training...ugh

I have never trained so much/hard in my life. Truthfully, this is only the second time I have followed a "plan". Most of the time I'm just competing in sprints and other short distance races. My workouts would just happen,, depended on how I felt that day. The only other time I followed a plan was for Longhorn 70.3 2007. And that race didn't happen.

Ironman training has been fun but man is it tough to get all my workouts in. Last week was one of my toughest weeks so far. My in-laws were staying with us, my parents came in and we went to the rodeo 3 nights in a row. And going to the rodeo means beer.. And rum/coke.. Yeah :) ... But I still had to get up at 4:30 and get half of my workouts in for the day. I rode the trainer in the dark playing on my phone (all rooms were taken and I didn't wanna flip on the light and wake Cathlene). She actually slept right through the rides. As soon as I got home from work I would go directly to the pool or to run so I could spend some time with the family or head to the rodeo. My brother in law ran and swam with me a few times so that made things easier.

I needed this week though. I proved to myself and hopefully my family that nothing will stop me. I was able to spend a lot of time with the family and still get in my training. I would "pad" my workouts here and there so if I had to cut one short, it wasn't a big deal. I was scheduled to do 17 hours and I ended up getting in 18+ hours.

This race means so much to me... I must do my part,, it's not that hard after your workout is finished. What's hard is starting. Starting your workout,,, starting your training program. Getting to the "start" line.
I always finish something I start,, that's how my parents raised me.

To all you Ironman finishers, I respect the hell outa you,, you can't fake this stuff. I hope to join your ranks soon...

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Keep at it Gus!

Can't wait to follow you online while you destroy that course.

Isela said...

You can do it!!!

Austin said...

Brilliant stuff.
Getting the hours in is really the key and you are CERTAINLY managing it.
Well done! :D