Sunday, May 2, 2010

CB&I Triathlon (sprint)

500 meter swim, 15 mile bike, 5k run...

I love this race. Its flat fast and crowed.. I hate the crowded part though. I raced here last year and finished in a time of 1 hour 14 minutes placing 7th in my age group. I was hoping to be top 3 this year.

Had my morning coffee, muffin and a banana before the race while sipping on some Hornet Juice and Gatorade. Also drank a lot of water to mix in with the sugary stuff. Seemed to work for me.
The water temp was 76 degrees so just enough to make it wetsuit legal and I always wear my wetsuit if it is legal. I got into the water and made my way to the front. The swim was super crowed. I was swimming over people, being swam over, being punched by little kids that I wanted to punch back but I didn't (putting ages 29 and under in one wave = bad idea). I finally got into a rhythm after the first turn buoy but then started hitting the stragglers from the previous waves. This made it even more crowded and at times I had to stop and breast stroke around these fools. Sighting seemed tough in my newish goggles (a bit tinted and it was cloudy out).
Swim = 8:42 (1:44/m)

I was able to get out of my wetsuit pretty quick, throw on my glasses, helmet and I was off. First time I started the bike with my shoes already clipped in and it worked like a charm.
T1 = 1:14

The bike course was very crowded and it was hard to stay out of packs. I managed to hang back or in front of this certain pack most of the time. One 16 year old was pissing everyone off. He wasnt even trying not to draft and at one time pulled right in front of me barely missing my front wheel. Geez kid ya trying to kill someone. The bike course was flat with a few turns and FAST. Fast=Fun
Bike = 38:27 (23.4mph)

T2 went smooth, jumped off bike already out of my shoes, racked, both zoots on, grab bib # and hat and I was off.
T2 = 0:47

I was hoping to run sub 7 min miles for the 5k but I havent rested my legs since last weekend. This included a 12.5 mile run just two days ago. Coach said this was an "Ironman Simulator" race. I felt pretty good the entire run and grabbed some water at the aid stations to pour over my head and wet my mouth. It had started getting pretty hot on the run.. With about 200 yards to go I started hearing some guys behind me. They were cheering on a friend. When this friend of theirs passed me I noticed he was in my age group. I couldnt hang, I tried to kick harder but was giving all I had without puking. The guys cheering for him were on "medical bikes" and were riding on each side of him. Whatever... When I crossed the finish my name was announced as "Jeremy Webb training for IMCDA"... haha this put a huge smile on my face.. Reminds me that the BIG day is still to come..
Run = 21:52 (7:01 pace)

Total time = 1:11:04 (1st in my age group was 1:08:08) I placed 6th in my age group and 32nd overall.

Had a few pigs ears (beers) post race and hung out with Cat and the rest of team BA..

2 comments:

WalkSports.com said...

Come back next year, if not doing IM Texas, and I'll call you an IM finisher! :)

Dana aka Smiley88 said...

Thanks for the report. I'm doing CB&I this year. It was going to be my first, but I snuck in my 1st last weekend - but it had a pool swim. I'm a little scared of the OWS, but I've gotta start sometime!

Great job!