Wednesday, August 18, 2010

August 18, 2010

It’s been 3 years today since my accident.  I’m not fully recovered but I know I will never be the same.  I took too much of an impact with my shoulder and head (trying to save my bike of course) to ever be 100% back to normal.  I am perfectly ok with that.  3 years ago becoming an Ironman seemed impossible, something only crazy folks do. Well, I did suffer from a high grade concussion so I was probably left a little crazy in the head.  

One of the first things I asked the doctor as I was lying in the hospital was if I was going to be able to compete in my first half Ironman that October.  I didn’t realize that I would be wearing my neck brace through November.  So I got pissed off, said screw the 70.3, I want the whole thing.   It can’t hurt worse than changing the bandages in my arm.

Since August 18, 2007, I have gradually increased my training.  2008 and 2009 seemed pathetic compared to this year.  

To this date from my wreck I have:

Swam – 134.46 miles

Biked – 4,120.88 miles

Ran – 1,268.57 miles

Raced – 35 races, including 1 Ironman, 5 half marathons, 11 shorter runs, and 18 shorter triathlons.

I know these numbers aren’t very amazing or anything considering some people put these up in just one year BUT, this is what I’ve done and how far I’ve gone.   From a hospital bed not knowing if I will ever race again to an Ironman, this is what it took for me to get there.

3 comments:

@markstier said...

super proud of you!
that's amazing your accomplishments! keep it UP!!

Amers said...

You're awesome, fool. That is all.

Gusano said...

Thanks guys!!