Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Ironman Texas 2012

Thought I would finally write up a short race report for IMTX...

Like I said in a previous post, the morning started off with Tim knocking on the door ready to film my day.  This actually helped calm me down a little bit.  I didnt really have time to focus on the race and get too nervous.

This year I started off on the opposite side (opposed to last year) for the swim start.  I hugged the shoreline, actually started off standing in waist high water.  I was in clean water most of the swim and kept really calm.  Im sure I made the course a bit longer but it was worth staying on the edge of the washing machine.  The canal is the only area where it got a bit tight and where I did get punched a few times.  Nothing major though.
Swim = 1:21:01

The bike started off really well.  I was cruising the first half, just as expected, and suffered a bit the second.  Nothing new really.  I don't think I pushed too hard the first half.  The sun really beat down on us this year without the cloud cover.  I did drop my endurolytes at mile 20 of the bike though.  This really put a damper on how I felt.  Good thing I had a few extra in my special needs bag to help me finish out the bike.  Other than that it was a pretty typical ride.
Bike = 5:58:27

I felt great once I got off the bike.  Started the run off really well and after about 9 miles I really started to feel it.  Around mile 18 I started getting some pretty severe stomach cramps.  Puked around mile 22 and started worrying that I may not be able to finish out the run.... But I would never let that happen, dug deep and finished a 3 time Ironman!  Such an awsome feeling coming across that finish line.  I'm not sure I will ever stop racing Ironman.
Run = 4:51:52

Total time = 12:22:44
A little slower than last year but you cant always set a PR... I plan on it next year though ;)






No comments: