Monday, May 27, 2013

Race Update

Ive had a few races since my last post.  Cant remember them all but I wanted to speak to a few and get some thoughts down.  Since the Xterra I raced Bridgeland Sprint Tri, the Jingle Bell 5 Miler, and ran the Disney Marathon with Phil and the girls this year (2013):

(January 12th) I was hoping Disney would give me a good idea of what I could run a full in.  Was hoping in the 3:30s to 3:45 but ended up with 3:55:26.  Pretty bad considering the year before I ran a 3:57 during the goofy challenge.  But, we dont really "rest" at Disney, mostly drink a lot...
   

(April 7th) Ironman 70.3 Galveston Texas (Lonestar) would be my 4th half ironman and a new PR.  I wore my sleeveless wetsuit for the swim thinking I would be faster with less resistance on my shoulder.  I ended up with an average swim of 40:04.  I think I will wear the full suit next year cause dang it was cold and took a good bit to warm up.  I had a pretty good bike averaging 20.7 for the 56 miles and nutrition seemed to be just right.  On the run I made sure to hold back at first since I normally go out too fast and ended up with a decent even paced run at 1:58 (9:04 pace).  Pretty good for me and I think I could have pushed it harder.  This gave me a new PR of 5:27:11 which gives me something to shoot for next year.
   

(April 20th) Next up was Lake Tejas Tri... My home town area local race.  This was the third year of the race and it was finally USAT sanctioned.  This brought a few fast folks out and knocked me off the podium significantly.  There were also a ton of HS kids that kicked butt in the swim.  I had a decent swim and bike but a pretty slow run.  It seems that my sprint distance run speed is getting slower but my bike is getting faster.  Maybe Im pushing a lot harder on the bike than I used to..  I finished 7th overall out of 61.  Not bad, but I can do better.

(May 4th) Last casual race before Ironman Texas I ran a local 5k for Cats school (Spring Branch ISD) Run for the Arts 5k.  I started off wayyyy too fast with a 6:17 first mile and suffered the next two.  Was really hoping to break 20mins but that will have to wait.  Finished in 21:07(6:49 pace).

No comments: